Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Ultimate Punt Page - Avolites Diamond 4 Vision

I'm sure you're asking yourself "What the heck is a punt page?"  Well, have you ever had to run a show completely on the fly, with little to no programming time?  If the answer's yes, then you've punted before and have used a punt page.  In this post, I'll go through my tips and tricks on punting and creating a punt page on an Avolites Diamond 4 Vision.

Pretty slick, huh? Photo courtesy of Avolites.org.uk

This is one of my favorite desks for running shows on the fly because everything I need is right in front of me, not hidden behind multiple menus and screens.  First, lets go through some logistics of the desk...On the bottom left are 28 playback faders along with flash, swop (solo), preload, and connect buttons for each. Just to the right of the playbacks are 2 playback encoders (wheels) that are used for setting chase speeds, pausing and playing chases or cue lists, going to certain cues in cue lists etc.  On the bottom right hand side of the desk is the programming section, which includes 6 encoder wheels - 1 for pan, tilt, and dimmer, and 3 other wheels that control selectable fixture attributes (color, gobo, iris, zoom, etc.).  The top two rows of faders on the desk are preset faders or fixture faders.  These faders have two buttons below them that control fixture selection and pallette selection, which we'll discuss in a moment.

Now that we've got the logistics out of the way, lets get to programming.  Most shows that I run off the cuff are either one-off shows (show where an artist comes in without a lighting director for evening) or festival shows (several artists share the same stage throughout the course of a day, or 3 days, or possibly an eternity if the weather's right!).  Both of these types of shows can be prepared for much in the same way.  First I patch my desk.  I'll explain patching in a later post.  I patch the desk so that the fixtures that I will need to use the most are closest to me.  I usually put my moving light fixtures on the left-hand side of the bottom row of faders in the preset section of the desk.  I start with my principle movers, usually the ones with the highest light output or the fixture that I have the most of.  After my moving lights, I add in any specials that I will need to access during the show, such as ellipsoidals (Lekos for all you concert freaks), audience abuse (moles), ground package conventional lighting, backdrop lighting, and ACL's (more on those later too).  After the specials, I put in my conventional washes.  Usually I leave the downstage all together as single color washes (ALL DS blue, red, amber, congo, cyan, magenta) and separate my upstage as single units.  So I burn 10 faders per color if I have a 10K wash US.  This separation allows me to build some mean chases on the upstage truss.

After patching, it's time to setup some palletts (presets for all you GrandMA peeps, don't worry, I are one too :-).  I put my color palletts on the bottom left hand side of the preset section of the desk.  I usually setup 16 solid colors, a warm color combo, a cool color combo, 4 split wheel colors, and 2 color scrolls (depending on the ability of the fixtures of course).  After that I setup my positions.  Normally I do 16 positions consisting of 2 crosses, 2 asymmetricals, 2 full band looks, 2 audience positions, a fan out, a fly out, a fly in, a backdrop look, and 5 or 6 solo positions (depending on the size and style of band).  The two full band positions are inclusive presets, meaning if for some reason the keyboard player moves after I create my focus for it, I can update my keyboard focus and the desk will automatically update my band focuses to match.  This is very handy for a festival situation where band members change from act to act.  After my positions, I create 8 gobo selections for each type of fixture.  In these gobo presets, I include zoom and hard edged focus so that I don't have to select those features separately in the live situation.  At this point, I've filled up 48 of the 64 presets on the bottom half of the desk.  For the last 16 at the bottom, I do 3 gobo rotation speeds (off, slow, and medium), 2 gobo scrolls (slow, fast), and 6 shutter presets (on, off, random slow, random fast, even slow, and even fast).  With the shutter presets, make sure to include dimmer on the on and off presets or you'll probably get some bleed through of the shutter.

On the top portion of the presets section of the desk, I create some seldom used things, such as zoom and iris (small, medium, large for each) and some specialty focuses (soft edge, color focus, etc.).  I put my groups right in the middle of the top set of preset buttons.  I do an all group for programming purposes, then odd, even, and all's for each fixture type, starting with the primary fixtures.

That's pallette (preset) programming in a nutshell.  This one has gotten sort of lengthy, so I will continue with my playback programming in the next post.  Keep lighting up!!

2 comments:

  1. Andrew,
    You seem to be very fluent in show production lighting area. I enjoy reading your blogs for they are very informative and creative. I know you have tons of fun already working in your field in the entertainment industry. I know you will be very successful in all the things that you do. Keep up the good work and much success to you Andrew. Keep the blogs coming too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea for a blog. I have definitely been in this situation before and sometimes it is not easy to work in those condition. I will be coming back and subscribing to check here for updates. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete